There is one side dish that wraps up all the nostalgia and feelings of Thanksgiving past into one tasty savory spot on my plate each 4th Thursday in November.
When I was freshly out on my own 800 miles away from family and the days of gathering at my Grandmother's house were becoming fleeting memories, I reached out to my Aunt who always made my favorite side dish for her recipe. If nothing else, I could make this and taste the memories each year.
The original recipe has changed and morphed over the years. Little T has food allergies which prevent her from eating the original recipe, which until now I have refused to share. Overhauling the recipe to make it edible for her became my goal and I'm pleased with the results.
1. Pre Heat oven to 350
2. Cook 4 cups uncooked rice.
3. Melt the stick of butter over medium heat. Add onions and celery. Saute until soft and onions are slightly caramelized.
4. Cook/steam frozen broccoli and chop to the desired size. Pro-tip: Microwavable steam bags!
5. In an over-sized large bowl, combine rice, sauteed onions and celery and all melted butter. Add cheese sauce, cream of mushroom, and chopped broccoli. Stir well.
6. Pour mixture into 2 9x13 baking dishes. Cover with sharp cheddar. Place in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
7. Serve warm or cool completely and refrigerate covered. Reheat in the oven prior to serving.
2. Transfer to dish and refrigerate over night or 4 hours. Cover after completely cooled.