I love anything stuffed with CHEESE! This recipe is full of delicious mozzarella cheese oozing out of every slice. If you are looking for a twist on boring meatloaf, this is one to add to your family meals.
Inspired by Mario Batali’s Meatloaf Stuffed with Caramelized Onions and Provolone, I headed into my kitchen with a spring in my step to create my own spin on his version that he kindly challenged viewers to “step-up your meatloaf”. I am no Mario Batali, but my family has been quite pleased with the new version of meatloaf that now graces their plates once or twice a month.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a large bowl, add turkey and sausage. Add basil, oregano, onion powder, rosemary, minced garlic, and shredded parmesan and combine. Add egg, bread crumbs, bell pepper, onion, salt and pepper to taste. Combine all ingredients in bowl.
3. Place meatloaf mixture on parchment paper or foil. Spread meatloaf mixture into a rectangle about 9 x 12.
4. Spread mozzarella slices across the rectangle. Spread spinach leaves across on top of mozzarella slices. (see images)
5. Roll the meat rectangle into a pinwheel like a cinnamon roll. Pinching and sealing the edges; leaving no exposed cheese
6. Place meatloaf in 1.5 quart loaf pan. Add Ketchup or your favorite meatloaf topping (optional)
7 .Bake for 1 hour or until the center of the meatloaf reaches 165 degrees.
8. Let cooked meatloaf rest for 10-20 minutes before serving.